This is an exciting post for us at Integrity. We are so pleased to let Canadians know of the biggest development to hit post frame! The Perma-Column is a pre-cast concrete column–the first product on the Canadian market that keeps wood out of the ground.
They give the best of both worlds: the cost-effectiveness of post frame construction with the durability of concrete. The Perma-Column has been used for years in the U.S. and is now available for the first time in Canada.
Tested by both Wisconsin and Purdue University, the Perma-Column outperforms wood posts in comparative strength tests.
How is it made?
The wood column is attached to a “U” shaped steel bracket made of 1/4” steel with 1/2” thru-bolts and 1/4” lags. This bracket is robotically welded to steel reinforcement that runs the entire length of the column. All the steel is a premium domestic high strength alloy.
Here’s a snapshot of some of the benefits of this new technology:
- made of the latest in self-compacting concrete precasting technology give 3 x the strength of standard concrete
- microfibers add shock resistance and durabilit
- microsilicia enhances flexural/compressive strength and erosion resistance
- corrosion inhibitor protects the rebar reinforcement from rusting
- a final admixture is added to give freeze/thaw protection